This quick overview of Google Docs and Introduction to Collaboration is brought to you by iSensei.TV. Below is a video overview and a downloadable PDF handout.
You need a Gmail or Google Account
To use Google Docs, you must have a Google Account. Many people already have a Gmail which is a Google Account. Login to your Gmail as you normally would and you’ll see a screen similar to this. To access Google Docs and other Google Apps, Click on the Grid of 9 Squares labeled in the image below.
You can launch Docs, Sheets, or Slides directly, but Google Drive is great place to go next because you can see all your online files.
Google Drive Holds All Your Uploaded Files
Google Drive gives you 15GB of free online storage. You can store any file type here, so upload away. There are companion Mac and Windows Apps to assist in syncing files, but those are for another tutorial.
Here’s an overview of the Drive Homescreen:
- Create a New Doc/Sheet/Presentation and more
- Search Drive for your Online Files
- My Drive contains all the files you’ve created or uploaded
- Shared with me are files you’re collaborating on
- Google Photos, Recent, Starred, and Trash are other locations to find your files.
- Sorting Options
- More Information and Settings
- Your Username
Drag and Drop Files onto the Drive Window to Upload
Create a New Doc and Find This Editing Screen
Google Docs is very similar to Microsoft Word and most Word Processing Applications. Most of the features and functions should seem familiar to you, especially the formatting tools.
Here’s what you can do here:
- Return to the Docs Homescreen
- Rename the Document (Star and Move the Document icons appear after naming)
- Drop down Menus
- Use Functions on the Toolbar
- Share the Document for Collaboration
- Type and Edit text in the main editing window.
Want an awesome printable PDF of this post?
[hide_from visible_to=”public”] Join our FREE Basic Membership and get access to Printable PDF’s of all our in depth videos and guides.
[product_title productid=’56’ add_paragraphs=’true’ ]
[product_description productid=’56’ add_paragraphs=’true’ ]
[product_price productid=’56’ add_paragraphs=’true’ ]
[product_purchase productid=’56’ title=’Get Free Access to Our Library of PDF’s and More’ add_paragraphs=’true’ ]Get Free Access to Our Library of PDF’s and More[/product_purchase]
[hide_from visible_to=”member”]Download the Google Docs Overview And Collaboration PDF here![/hide_from]